Pages

Thursday 17 October 2013

Brassaï, Lulu and the punctum

Lulu, at Le Monocle, c. 1932

































The picture above was taken by the Hungarian photographer Brassaï in an underground club in Paris in the 1930s. I came across it earlier while researching black and white night photography, and in a seminar today we've had quite an interesting discussion about it.
We talked about Lulu when we discussed Roland Barthes' theory of the punctum. The punctum, according to Barthes, is - very roughly and generally - the one element in a picture that sparks your interest and, more importantly, an emotional response; it's the one bit that really hooks you to the picture. The punctum can be a very personal thing, e.g. if you have a habit of drinking Lanson Brut champagne, the bottle in the picture above might be the one thing you will respond to immediately.
Now, what I realised today is that not only is the punctum a personal matter and your emotional response might be different from someone else's, but it can also influence your interpretation of a picture majorly. Maybe it was because I am dealing with gender in photography on a daily basis, but when I saw the picture for the first time I wasn't too fussed with the fact that Lulu presents herself in a really masculine way. My punctum was her eyes: the quite sad, introvert look into the distance. This picture makes me feel loneliness in the first place - particularly when you take the sole place setting, the single glass, the unshared bottle of champagne into consideration, too. 
However, my seminar group disagreed with me on that point. Someone took the eyes as a punctum as well, but connected their longing gaze then to Lulu's masculine appearance and the scenery of an Parisian lesbian underground club, and said that the picture was talking about sexual desire and frustration. Someone else was drawn to the mural behind Lulu - which is unfortunately not visible in this slightly cropped version, but the original version shows a part of it, and you can see female legs and high heels. All of the sudden the contrast between the female characteristics in the painting and Lulu's appearance made the picture tell of gender difference, gender expression, self identity - a pretty superficial, but nevertheless valid point, in my eyes.
I think it's pretty cool how details can change the perception of a single picture in completely opposite directions. Also I like the way it shows how personal experience feeds into your interpretation - if I wasn't used so much to seeing crossdressers and drag and genderbending, maybe my initial response wouldn't have gone beyond the gender tension in Brassaï's picture, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment