Pages

Thursday 10 October 2013

About Blogging

People's reactions to blog tend to be quite the same, whoever you ask:
"I don't really like blogs. I never seem to get...into them."
"But there are so many of them!"
"I only read blogs when there are pictures of tiny cute kittens on them."
...or...the ultimate response:
"Oh, you're running a blog! That is SO interesting! I will check it out...soon..." Voice fades, eyes move towards the floor - and you know: They don't think it's interesting at all, because they belong to the tiny-kitten-sort of people, too. Secretly, that is.

So why am I starting another blog, and, even worse, my second one? (Find the first one here.) Well.
First of all, this blog is, even though I enjoy it very much and treasure it as one of the most important personal projects I've ever started, for university. It's coursework.
Second, like so many other things, it's all about what you make out of it, isn't it? My thoughts on here won't be entirely original, and neither will the pictures, which I am going to show you, be. But I am determined to try and give my personal twist to it, to find new connections and relations, and so it will be mine and you will never find the same anywhere on the internet. (If you do, let me know.)
Third, and most importantly, I believe in visibility. Let me explain that. I am a photographer and writer, but I am also an activist for gender, LGBTQ and cultural matters, and these vocations go quite well together. Because the first one is all about making things visible, and the second one will only ever succeed if made visible to everyone. Therefore this blog is an attempt to bring my interests together, to build a platform on which I can express my point of view and in this way connect to this weird thing called the internet - there is no better way to make anything visible to everyone.
Fourth, my other blog is in German, and basically addresses to my parents, and a few friends. Do you speak German? Are you my mum or my dad? Many people don't or aren't, you see. I just thought I'd make it a little easier for you to connect to me.

If you are still not interested, well then...

No comments:

Post a Comment